Kidney Disease Mitigation and Prevention
Treadmill desks have been shown to be extremely effective tools in assisting employees with weight loss and weight control. This health benefit is great for all employees but recent research is showing it is especially important for those employees suffering from or in danger of developing kidney disease.
The September 17th issue of the Clinical Journal of American Society of Nephrology found that weight loss had a positive effect on kidney function in obese kidney disease patients.
The weight loss achieved by daily walking and proper diet reduced proteinuria, the increase protein in the kidney and also prevented any further declines in kidney function.
Currently 26 million Americans suffer from chronic kidney disease and the numbers are growing rapidly due to America's rising epidemic of obesity and lack of daily exercise. The combination of weight gain and inactivity leads to diabetes and high blood pressure the two leading causes of kidney malfunction.
Healthy kidneys are essential and provide the following services for the body:
- Maintain body's water balance
- Maintain levels of minerals such as sodium, potassium, magnesium and phosphorous in your blood.
- Assists in removal of waste by products from the blood after digestion, exercise, or exposure to toxins.
- Produces renin, an enzyme responsible for regulating blood pressure.
- Produces erythropoietin stimulating production of red blood cells.
- Produces a form of Vitamin D essential for bone health.